Thursday, March 13, 2014

Having fun with Legos on a larger scale



     Like most people, I used to play with Legos when I was younger, I wasn't the best at building things but I still had fun with them. My friends and I would make our own little forts, get a small army of Lego minifigures and try to destroy each other's fort. Legos have had such an impact on so many generations of kids and even adults. It's incredible how many different types of Lego themes there are; from space to racing, even from Star Wars to Batman. Legos have their own theme-parks, video games, and television show; so it was only a matter of time before Lego made it's own movie. The film was made by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who are known for their movie adaptations of Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street. Much like the toys it was based off of, the movie is a lot of fun for both kids and adults.

Plot Summary
     The Lego Movie is about a man (or minifigure) named Emmett (voiced by Chris Pratt). Emmett is an ordinary, regular, boring construction worker who lives in Bricksburg: a city that functions by its citizens following rigid instructions from their leader, President Business (voiced by Will Ferrell). One day after work, Emmett stumbles into a hole where he finds a strange artifact. After touching the artifact he blacks out, only to wake up and find that the artifact is stuck to his back. It's revealed that he is "the special" and the artifact is the only thing that can stop "The Kragle", another artifact President Business wants to use to destroy the world. President Business sends his army, led by Bad Cop/Good Cop (Liam Neeson) to capture Emmett and secure the artifact.

     Emmett teams up with the Master Builders; people who can take any objects and make anything they want. Among the master builders is Batman (Will Arnett), a wizard named Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman), a 1980's-something spaceman named Benny (Charlie Day), a robotic pirate named Metal Beard (Nick Offerman), and a girl named Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks). With the help of the Master Builders, Emmett sets out to stop President Business and destroy the Kragle.



Analyze
     Phil Lord and Chris Miller have a pretty wide gap in what they're known for. On one hand they made Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, on the other hand, they made 21 Jump Street. These two movies are very different from each other both in style and family friendliness. Lego Movie is closer to CWCM since it's a family movie. I like that Lord and Miller are capable of writing for a large range of age groups and I also like that they try different types of styles. I hope they continue to come out with impressive films.


Interpretation
     This movie is for both the kids and the adults. I say it's for the adults because the movie shows more of the classic Lego figures and sets that adults today grew up with. The movie has a lot of parts in it that some kids might not understand, for example: Emmett's hometown is extremely distopian, but in a way that kids might not understand. In the movie, everyone in Emmett's town must follow the instructions that President Business makes for them, this makes it so everyone seems to be walking in formation all the time and are extremely happy living extremely unremarkable lives.

     This movie was actually fairly tame. There was no swearing anywhere in the movie (unless you consider gosh and heck to be a swear). the only thing I can think of that might be considered a little more mature is at one point President Business references torturing people. However, this is a one time thing he said in passing.

Evaluation
     I'd say this movie's greatest strength is it's animation. It's computer animated but it's intentionally made using a lower frame-rate, making it look like a home-made stop-motion film (albeit with a higher budget). I liked this movie a lot, it had a good story with a lot of heart and good characters. I think that since it's so different it will be remembered. It's Lego's first movie so that helps it become memorable, but I think kids will remember it, along with adults for the story and even some film students would like it for the animation. Professional critics have been eating this movie up. as I'm writing this, The Lego Movie has an 8.4/10 on IMDb and a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.


Conclusion
    As I've stated many times already I really enjoyed this movie. I recommend it to anyone who likes Legos, computer animation or just need a nice family-friendly film to watch. I've seen it twice in theaters now (once with a friend, once with my five-year old cousin) and I enjoyed it equally both times. I'm not sure if I would see a sequel as I think this film did a good job of wrapping things up and I don't think there's really much more to do with the story. Long story short: If you haven't seen this movie yet and are at least remotely curious about it, go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment